How to live a happy and fulfilling life
Life is meant to be lived to the fullest. But what does that mean, exactly? I am hoping these tips will help you understand how to live a happy, meaningful life.
- Be grateful. No matter where you are in life, be thankful for it! Write at least one thing you are grateful for every day. It could be for the loved ones in your life, or it could be something simple, like the weather.
- Turn negatives into positives. Be mindful of your thoughts. It is easy to complain all day, but once you notice you are being negative, turn that bad thought into a good one (e.g., I do not like my job but I am grateful for the income/ health benefits/ friendships it provides!)
- Surround yourself with positive people. It is important to have a support person and a strong support network. Being around negative people is baggage! Cut those people out of your life. If you can’t cut them out of your life (e.g. family member, neighbor, ex-baby mother/father, etc), minimize contact with them. Some people can stay in your life but should only be dealt with in “small doses”.
Sometimes we need a little extra help being positive. Here are some things you could do physically to get yourself in a better mood.
Cheer Yourself Up
- Stimulate your mind. Learn something new that you are interested in. Read something uplifting. Watch a funny video. Listen to music. Go to the beach.
- Exercise. There are many types of exercises, find one that suits you and enjoy it! Exercise releases endorphins, the “feel good” chemical in your brain.
- List your accomplishments. Sometimes we get so caught up in the day to day, that we forget all that we have accomplished in life. Remind yourself! Write one down accomplishment every day, even if it is something as simple as making your bed, you will feel good about having completed something and will be motivated to get more done.
An easy way to feel accomplished in life is to increase your self-worth. These are the three main ways to increase your value to society.
Increase Your Worth
- Get smart. Knowledge is power. What do you know? Become an expert in a field or topic of your choosing.
- Got skills? What skills do you possess? Your knowledge should translate into a useful skill. The more you know and the more you are able to do, the higher your worth.
- Be financially stable. You don’t have to be rich to be happy, but money should not be an issue either. Pay off your debt, credit card, student loans, etc. Improve your credit score. Be smart with your money. There are a lot of unpredictable obstacles out there, your finances should not be one of them.
Once you get it together, you need to get your living arrangement in order as well. Your home should be both relaxing and inspiring.
Create A Peaceful Environment
- Clear the clutter. Clearing your environment will clear your mind. Start small, with your desk or bedroom for example. You shouldn’t feel stressed when looking around your room or home. Get rid of (or donate) things you don’t need and things that don’t make you happy. Everything around you should make you happy.
- Do nothing for ten minutes. By doing nothing sometimes, you are actually doing a lot for yourself. Allow yourself to be in the moment. Rest. Breathe.
- Meditate or pray. Though different in their own ways, both meditation and prayer are very effective ways to gain peace with yourself and clear your mind. Choose one or do both.
Your life away from the comfort of your home should also bring you joy and inspiration. Live a life that is true to yourself, here is how…
Do What You Love
- Become self-aware. Learn about yourself, what do you want? What are you good at? What would you like to improve on? Know your strengths, write them down if you have to. This is essential for figuring out what you should be doing to be happy.
- Create a bucket list or dream list. Create a list of places you want to see and things you would like to experience or learn. Then figure out a way to make it happen! Set a goal to check something off your dream list each year (or more often if reasonable). You need to have something to look forward to and to work towards every year.
- Have a life vision. Imagine what your ideal life would look like. What would it look like in the future? Create a vision board and place it somewhere you will see every day. Write it down. Be specific.
- Start a side project. If you aren’t doing what you love as your full-time job, do something that makes you happy during your spare time, such as nights and weekends. Once again, you’ll have something to look forward to and who knows, if you focus enough on it and put time into your project, it could turn into a full-time job or simply something huge you do on the side that will make your life more fun and interesting!
With all this goodness going on in your life, why not spread the love to others? Let’s keep the positivity going with the following…
Pay It Forward
- Volunteer. Volunteer regularly. Find something you are good at and help others. It will benefit your community and make you feel good about yourself.
- Donate. Find something to give away. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.
- Help others become the best versions of themselves. Change lives and build connections, this is life changing for you and the others you are helping!
Here’s to a happier, more fulfilling life!
Have you read these yet?
Life is hard, but it doesn’t have to be. Learn how to live your best life so that you can actually look forward to your day when you wake up in the morning. Read this first to get the master plan on how to live YOUR best life.
Sometimes it IS all about you (and that’s OK). Read on to learn why you should focus on yourself to become the best version of YOU. And we will get started on how to get you on the right path…