Heat Up Your Super Bowl with These 3 Mouth-Watering Recipes NYC Nutritionist Franci Cohen
This year the Super Bowl is taking place for the first time in the cold weather climate of New Jersey’s MetLife stadium. Whether you plan on participating in activities on Manhattan’s “Super Bowl Boulevard” or watching out of the comfort of your home, a warm meal is the kicker to your Super Bowl experience. New York City’s FranciCohen is a certified nutritionist, personal trainer, and exercise physiologist who has created three exciting and mouth-watering recipes for your Super Bowl spread.
Black N’ White Spaghetti & Meatball Swirls
-1/2 pound extra lean chopped meat
-1/2 pound ground turkey
-1.5 large organic eggs
-3 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs
– salt and pepper to taste
– canola oil
-1 bag organic black bean spaghetti
-1 box artichoke spaghetti
– Fun skewers or long toothpicks
– 48 oz. Jarred marinara sauce
- Take you chopped meat and ground turkey and mix together in a large bowl. Then, add in eggs, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper and mix with hands until well incorporated.
- In a frying pan, heat a thin layer of canola oil on medium for 3-4 minutes. Then add meatballs, 1 by 1, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Once the meatballs are lightly browned on both sides, add marinara sauce. Then turn the heat up, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and summer for 10-15 minutes until meatballs are fully cooked.
- For the pasta, cook both spaghettis as instructed on package
- On a serving plate, alternate swirled bundles (swirl with a fork) of black bean spaghetti and artichoke spaghetti. Spoon sauce over each and top with a single meatball.
- Secure meatball and pasta bundle in place with skewer or toothpick
Mini Mac N’ Cheese Popovers
-1 box elbow noodles
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-4 cups skim milk
-1 cup low fat Muenster cheese
– 8 American cheese slices
-1/2 cup part-skim cheddar cheese
-1/2 panko flakes (Japanese bread crumbs)
-Pam cooking spray
-Mini muffin trays
- Pre heat oven to 375Âº.
- Start by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Then, whisk in flour to form a rue and gradually whisk in the skim milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add Muenster, American, and cheddar cheeses and then turn off the stove on cheese sauce.
- For the pasta, cook noodles as directed on box (al dente is best).
- After draining the noodles, return them to the pot and pour cheese sauce over pasta. Mix well.
- Take the Mac n cheese mixture and spoon it into greased muffin tray.
- Top each mini Mac n cheese with some panko flakes
- Place tray in the oven and bake until cheese mixture sets and tips of each popover is brown and toasty (Approx. 10-15 min).
Super Quinoa Sliders
– 1 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed
– 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
– 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
– 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
– 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
– 1/2 cup sweet potatoes, diced very small
– 3 scallions, finely sliced
– 1 tsp freshly crushed garlic
– 2 large eggs
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 12 multigrain slider buns
– 2 avocados, sliced
– Spicy mayonnaise
- 1. Start by cooking the quinoa as directed on package, substituting vegetable broth instead of water.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan sautÃ© scallions 3-4 minutes until lightly brown and translucent then add in garlic.
- 3. Add sweet potato and sautÃ© a few minutes more, until potatoes are tender
- 4. Lastly, add chick peas and cheese and remove from stove
- 5. Mash the mixture together leaving it slightly chunky. Then add the drained quinoa and breadcrumbs to mixture. Finally, add eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 6. In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 7. Form 3″ patties out of mixture with your hands and place into frying pan. Cook patties 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy and lightly browned
- 8. Serve on multigrain bun with lettuce, tomato, a few slices of avocado and a drizzle of spicy mayo!
*Note: For a healthier version, wrap the sliders in iceberg lettuce!