Las Fabulosas: Beauty & Style
Healthy Invierno Skin
From icy winter winds to harsh indoor heating, our piel often takes a beating during the colder months. However, there’s no need to suffer through the winter with dry, chapped skin. We’ve rounded up some tips from dermatologists and nutritionists to protect your body’s largest organ and keep it moisturized even in the harshest weather.
HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE
Keep your winter skin dewy and fresh by staying hydrated outside and inside.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Run a humidifier at night to replenish moisture while you sleep.
- If your skin is especially dry, you may need to switch to a slightly heavier moisturizer. Renee Rouleau recommends taking “the skin cream test”: apply lotion to your entire face and wait five minutes; if you can still feel the cream, go for something lighter.
- Moisturize before bed with a cream containing hyaluronic acid to help maintain elasticity.
- Avoid taking long, hot showers or baths — they may feel fabulous but they can actually dry out your skin.
While the sun’s rays may not be as bright this time of year, it’s essential to use sunscreen every day, year-round to keep your skin youthful and cancer-free.
Dry flaky skin leaves your complexion dull and makes it harder for your skin to absorb moisture. Skincare expert and best-selling author Paula Begoun recommends exfoliating daily with a product containing AHA, like Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel, if your skin is extra dry. For oily or rosacea-prone complexions try a product with BHA, like Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 1% BHA Gel.
FEED YOUR SKIN
Eating healthy is good for your whole body and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like fish, flax or soy are especially good for maintaining that youthful glow.
Valeria Guston has ghostwritten style and beauty books for Hyperion and HarperCollins Publishers. She is also a regular contributor to Mamiverse.com. She has previously contributed to Las Fabulosas.